Deprecated: Automatic conversion of false to array is deprecated in /home/wd2_cpws/ on line 492

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property WYSIJA_model_archive_std::$wpdb is deprecated in /home/wd2_cpws/ on line 36

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property WYSIJA_model_archive_std::$wpprefix is deprecated in /home/wd2_cpws/ on line 37

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property WYSIJA_module_archive_std::$model_obj is deprecated in /home/wd2_cpws/ on line 102

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property WYSIJA_model_archive_std::$limit is deprecated in /home/wd2_cpws/ on line 103

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property WYSIJA_module_view_archive_std_view::$model is deprecated in /home/wd2_cpws/ on line 107
Steampunk Altered Altoid Tin – GDTP for MelsCraftBoutique | CraftyPaws

My hubby loves Altoid mints, and I hoard the empty tins for altering projects. So when Mel of MelsCraftBoutique asked me to do a Steampunk Valentine project, I decided I would alter one of them with some of her beautiful products and a scrap of hot air balloon B side patterned paper from the Graphic 45 Steampunk Debutante collection.

20150127_153706I first painted the tin using Rustoleum Painter’s Touch 2Xs Paint and Primer Heirloom Satin White spray paint. I just needed a base in case any of the edges of the tin showed through all the layers I had planned.  It didn’t have to be smooth or pretty (and believe me it wasn’t since I did the spraying in the rain).

Then I covered the inside and outside front and backs of the tin with the patterned paper using Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue. This glue is great for getting a strong permanent hold, especially if you need some wiggle room time to align the paper perfectly.  Just when I had finished patting myself on the back for remembering to secure the dainty ivory scallop lace I was going to use as the hanger before securing the back panel papers, I realized I had adhered the back panel papers upside down (as compared to the inside papers).  I had to pull them off and then flip the tin and re-apply.  I seriously put the wiggle room time to the test, but it worked!

20150127_153642I then wove a dainty black heart lace through the buckle segments of the ivory Venice lace in bow knot design to create a very luxe looking trim to hot glue all around the outside edges of both sides of the tin as well as the inside of the deeper side of the tin. For the inside of the shallower lid side of the tin, I just lined it with more of the dainty black heart lace.

For the inside focal point for one side of the tin, I fussy cut out the quizzical cupid from the A side of the same Graphic 45 paper (cutting off the globe in one hand and the odd raven from the head). To give him a less green hue, I used Copic E51 and R30 for his skin.  Adding clear Wink of Stella to the wings added a nice little magical shimmer. 🙂  To hit home the idea of Valentines, I put a little heart key charm in the cupid’s hand.

20150127_153610For the other side of the tin, I simply used a large light bulb from the Prima Junkyard Findings collection that said “Adventure” (because isn’t love an adventure?).  I thought the light bulb shape echoed the hot air balloon shapes in the background nicely.

To create a kind of “handle” for the tin, I bent one of the filigree pieces from Mel’s shop.  After cutting off the tails of some mini brads, I adhered them to the ends as well as in the middle to give the appearance of faux rivets securing the handle. To add a Steampunk flavor, I also added a little metal gear to the middle of the filigree.  I used a gorgeous metal butterfly and a Steampunk style button from Mel’s shop to further decorate the tin.

To add more texture and interest to the tin, I added five more antique bronze gears. I also added an antique bronze key along the center seam and a couple more small metal butterflies (that makes THREE gorgeous metal butterflies, all of which I embellished by hand with black bling) to the upper left corner.

It was all looking pretty good, but then I remembered I had a Prima Vintage Trinkets set with a metal tree branch that had alpha charms hanging from it that spelled out “ADORE” and a little cream colored resin bird on a branch.  After feeling badly about cutting off the raven from the top of the cupid’s head, I thought this would be a perfect way to replace the reference to nature.  It was a little tricky securing these pieces, but with a little patience, E6000 (for a permanent, stronger hold), and hot glue (for a quick hold) it all set up well.  I added a few tiny lace flowers, snipped off of a remnant scrap of the ivory Venice lace to the bird’s beak and the branch he is sitting on in order to soften that resin piece and to help carry through the romantic theme of this project.

Use coupon code CraftyPaws10 for 10% off your purchase at MelsCraftBoutique (min $15 order), and if you are in the U.S. and your order is $40 or more, this coupon code also gets you free shipping! 

The following is a video share of this altered tin:

This Steampunk altered tin is being entered into the following challenges:
SanDee & Amelie’s 3D Three is My Lucky Number Challenge (Top 3 Winner)
The Pink Elephant Anything Goes Challenge
IBSIC #90 Hearts Challenge
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Have A Heart Challenge

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day! WOOF

Pin It on Pinterest