I am so excited to be a guest designer for Scrapping For Less for the months of June and July 2018! They create fabulous theme-based kits using items from a variety of brands that somehow all seem to coordinate perfectly together for an amazing price (whether a one-off 1 month kit or a 3 month subscription (for $5 less per month)). For the Scrapping For Less May 2018 Kit (they are released at the end of each month for the following month’s use), the theme was “In the Countryside,” and the products are soooo cute!
The following is an unboxing video of the kit:
For my first guest designer project, I thought I would create a shadow box card using the adorable scene paper from the Carta Bella “Country Kitchen” and the super cute cow from Sunny Studio’s “Miss Moo” stamp set. I made this fun fold birthday card for my cousin’s son, who is a total country boy.
The following are the dimensions and written directions for the card structure, using only one 8.5″ x 11″ piece of sour apple cardstock, also from the Scrapping For Less May Kit:
1. Cut cardstock in half to create two 5.5″ x 8.5″ pieces (I’m going to call them A and B)
2. With sheet A, score at 4.25″ (as if creating a standard side folding card base) and cut 0.5″ off of one side. Burnish along score
3. With sheet B, along the long side, score at 0.5″, 4.25″ and 4.75″, and cut a sliver off the end before the 0.5″ scored line. Burnish along scores
4. Use an open shape die, I used the Diemond Dies Nesting Ovals Die Set, to create the window opening of the shadow box on sheet B in the section between the 0.5″ and the 4.25″ score lines
5. Add adhesive to the 0.5″ portion of sheet B and adhere to sheet A by putting it up to the sheet A score line
6. Flip over combined sheets and add adhesive to the edges of the last segment of sheet B, between the 4.75″ score line and the sheet edge. Fold over and attach to the back side of the sheet A at the score line Voila! The structure is done. These instructions may be easier to refer to when making your own shadow box card, but watching the video below will probably make everything clearer.
Decorating the back panel of the shadow box, which I did before putting together the above structure, was really simple (except that I cut the sheet down incorrectly so I had to fix the error – you’ll see in the video). I just used the farm/garden scene paper from the Carta Bella Country Kitchen collection. I also used the scraps for a little embellishment country house for the top of the shadow box opening as well as the reverse side (which was an adorable pattern paper of lots of cows with little dogs, pigs and chickens) for the front of the card.
To cover up my cutting mistake, I used my versatile Fiskars Cloud Punches (x-large and large) to hide some seams as well as to add a little more interest to the top of the shadow box opening. Then to finish off the shadow box with a focal point cow, I Copic colored the adorable cow from the Sunny Studio’s “Miss Moo” stamp set with the following colors: Cow: C0, W0, W5 and W7 with R20 udder, blush and ears; Flower: Y38 and R89; Ground/Grass: C1 and G14. I used a sentiment from the Sunny Studio’s “Miss Moo” stamp set that says, “I udderly ADORE YOU” to complete the shadow box.
Since there was so much going on inside the card, I wanted to keep the card front simple. I used up another scrap of the cow pattern paper and framed it with a stitched square frame that I cut out using a Simon Says Stamp Stitched Squares Die Set. Under the little framed scene, I stamped out another sentiment from the Sunny Studio’s “Miss Moo” stamp set that says: “I herd It’s Your Birthday!
Disclosure: Many of the supplies I’ve used for today’s project are linked. Some may be affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I truly appreciate your support toward the costs of running this blog!
The following is a process video of crafting this card (mistakes and all!):
This card is being entered into the following challenges:
Stamp Sensations Anything Goes Challenge
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Frame It Challenge
Word Art Wednesday Anything Goes Challenge
Creatalicious Anything Goes with Optional Flowers Challenge
CAS-ual Fridays Boys of Summer Challenge
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Anything Goes Challenge
Penny Black and More In the Garden Challenge
613 Avenue Create Anything Goes with Optional Buttons and Bows Challenge
Through the Craft Room Door Anything Goes Challenge