Many of you know that my brother had renal failure last year and that my hubby turned out to be a match and donated one of his kidneys. I am thankful every day for these two men in my life, and am so grateful for my hubby who I consider to be a hero. Anyway, we are coming up on the one year anniversary of the transplant surgeries, and I wanted to make a card to send to my brother since he cannot travel to be with the rest of the family this year for Thanksgiving (all the immunosuppressant medications make him susceptible to germs that seem to be so prevalent in the fall and winter with colds and flues).
I did some simple no line coloring (stamped with Momento Desert Sand) with the Lawn Fawn Thankful Mice stamp set and the following Copic colors:
Dark Grey Mouse: N3, 5, 7 with a little R30 for inside the ears
Light Grey Mouse: W1, 3, 5 with a little R30 for inside the ears
Pilgrim Hat: N7 and 9 with R37 and YG17 for shading on the hat band
Pilgrim Bonnet: R35, 37, 39 with YG17 for shading
Shadows under the mice: N0 and 2
I stamped the accompanying sentiment, “give thanks,” just underneath. I used a burgundy shimmerz scrap of card stock and ran it through the wood grain embossing folder from The Paper Studio and die cut it with an MFT Die-Namics Stitched Rectangles STAX Die. Although at first I fretted about the shim I added causing a lot of cracking, ultimately I liked that rustic look even more than I think I would have if it hadn’t cracked so much.
Then for the background, I used a shimmery silver/grey Core’Dinations card base that I picked up on clearance at Walmart ($2 for a box of 40 cards and envelopes!). I used the large stitched rectangle from the MFT Die-namics Blueprints 15 Die Set and embossed and cut a panel from one half of the card base. Then I did some faux embossing (no cracks with this method) by die cutting out several leaves with the Diemond Dies Skeleton Leaf Die from the other half of the card base and gluing them all helter skelter on the panel. For a little extra interest, I die cut a few more skeleton leaves and hand cut some to be a bit smaller and attached them to the image panel with the ends left loose to add to the dimension. Lastly, I added some burgundy sequins in different sizes and dots of Cranberry Stickles to add sparkle and shine.
This card is being entered into the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp Monday Thanks/Thanksgiving Challenge
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Thanks/Thanksgiving Challenge
MarkerPOP Give Thanks Challenge
Word Art Wednesday Anything Goes Challenge
Addicted to Stamps and More CAS Challenge
Crafty Gals Corner Use a Sentiment Challenge
Just Keep on Creating Anything Goes Challenge
613 Avenue Create Anything Goes Challenge
MFT Card Sketch #306 Challenge